Whether you’re a CMO with business-focused teams reporting to you, or a technical manager or CIO with technical teams reporting to you—and you’re deciding which platforms to support for your internally-facing enterprise apps or externally-facing consumer apps—ask your teams this:
Why does Apple’s simulator only give you 5 device options (really just 3 distinct form factors), while Android’s emulator gives you over 20—and that’s just the popular ones?
Then ask your team this:
- BAs: How does this affect the use cases and business drivers?
- UX Designer: how does this affect the user interaction model?
- Graphics Designer: how do the screen sizes and various DPIs affect graphics elements?
- Developer: how does the differing amount of RAM and OS versions affect architecture, design, and implementation?
- QA Engineer: how do all these devices affect the amount of testing that will need to be done?
Then ask the entire team:
- How does this affect the timeline?
- How does this affect cost?
Don’t ask for an answer right away. Give them a day to think about it.
Then ask yourself: when you’re tantalized by low-cost devices, how does developing for them affect the total cost of ownership?
And have a great day.